Freshly made juices from organically grown fruits and, especially, vegetables are one of the two most effective methods to provide your body with all the nutrients you need. The other is sprouts and sprouting. Fresh vegetable juices contain concentrated amounts of everything you need for optimal health.
Everyone knows you need proteins, carbohydrates and fats to provide the fuel your body needs. Typical grocery store food selections obviously provide enough of these to keep you alive. Such food choices are like using the least expensive fuel for a very expensive, high-performance engine. It may run but can not be expected to have optimal performance for very long.
The best foods for your body should contain the correct amounts of properly balanced vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, enzymes, fiber, and other ingredients found in living, organic foods but mostly absent in processed, commercial foods.
Life is not possible without enzymes. Every function of your body requires enzymes. Every living thing contains all the enzymes needed to stay alive and, when it dies, to break it down completely. All enzymes are destroyed when heated more than 115 degrees Fahrenheit. In other words, cooking destroys enzymes. Our society is not set up for you to consume all your foods raw. Fresh vegetable juices provide significantly more enzymes and all the nutrients required for optimal health.
All raw foods also contain nutrients essential for optimal health but not yet classified. Some of these unclassified, essential nutrients are pigments such as carotenes (yellow-red), chlorophylls (green), anthocyanins (redblue), proanthocyanidins (colorless), and flavonoids (colorless or yellow). These pigments are integral parts of many anti-oxidants. They help your immune system keep you healthy. Sulfur is another of these unclassified, essential ingredients found in high concentrations in plants. Sulfur supplements are widely used to help repair damaged joints. All nutrients are in the juice of foods. The purpose of chewing and digestion is to extract these juices. In its simplest description, your digestive system is a juice extractor. Since normal digestion is one of the most energy-intensive functions of your body, juicing saves tremendous amounts of energy your body can then use for improving your immune function, energy production and tissue repair. Vegetable juices help your body rebuild. Fruit juices help cleanse your body.
Last, but certainly not least, freshly made juices provide extremely high concentrations of all the essential minerals and trace minerals. Almost every function of your body produces acid. An excellent example is simply movement. Your muscles produce lactic acid whenever they contract. Your body uses minerals to buffer or neutralize these and all other acids. Most modern foods, especially meats and simple carbohydrates/sugars increase acidic conditions in your body. You need minerals to counteract excess acids.
The key to optimal health is BALANCE (homeostasis). When your body is balanced you feel good, function at your best, and have excellent resistance to any and all dis-eases. A balanced body copes with stress easily, heals itself rapidly, maintains normal weight, works hard, eliminates regularly and sleeps soundly. One of the quickest and simplest way to help your body get all the minerals it needs to maintain balance is with fresh vegetable juices made from organic vegetables.
Choosing a Juicer
There are many excellent juicers available. Prices range from about $50 to over $2500. The best is the one you will use most often. The Champion Juicer consistently receives extremely high ratings. You may also wish to check eBay, especially for the 'greens' attachments for the Champion. The mildly frustrating part about juicing is cleaning the screen used to strain the juice. Purchase a natural-bristle veggie brush and you'll find this task is accomplished much faster and easier.
Simple Juicing Instructions
- Whenever possible, use your own fresh, organically grown sprouts, vegetables and fruits. Next best is from markets or stores certifying their produce is organically grown. Also look for vegetables and fruits with labels stating 'no detected pesticide residues'. At the very least, remove and discard the outer leaves and peels of non-organic produce.
- Before juicing, clean and scrub your vegetables and fruits thoroughly. A vegetable brush helps greatly. Rinse in pure water containing no chlorine or fluorine. For more information read the water article on my web site.
- Include the stems and leaves of your vegetables; EXCEPT rhubarb greens and carrot greens.
- Leave all seeds in your produce when juicing; EXCEPT pits, such as peach, plum, etc., and apple seeds.
- Use all skins and peels unless they have been waxed; EXCEPT the outer skins of oranges and grapefruits. Leave the white, pithy parts just under these peels.
- It is always best to drink your juices soon after making them. Nutrients are lost as the juice sits, even when refrigerated.
- 'Chew' each mouthful of juice. This means drinking your juice one mouthful at a time; holding each mouthful so it can mix with saliva before swallowing. This will ensure your body gets maximum benefit from your fresh juice.
- Make about six to eight ounces of juice at a time. Try to have at least one glass of fresh juice daily.
Sample Juice Recipes
- Alkalinizing: 1/4 head green or red cabbage with 3 stalks celery
- Arthritis/Inflamed Joints: grapefruit and/or pineapple juice
- Beauty: 1/2apple, 4 to 5 carrots, 1/2 cucumber, handful parsley, handful spinach
- Blemishes: 3 carrots, 3 kale leaves, 4 sprigs parsley
- Body Cleanser: 1 medium beet with green tops, 4 carrots, 1/2 cucumber
- Complexion: 1/2 apple, 1/2 cucumber, 2 pineapple slices with ring
- Oily Skin: 5 to 6 carrots, 1 handful greens (kale, spinach, chard, etc.), 1/2 sweet pepper
- Blood Purifiers: all berries
- Bones: 1/2 apple, 6 carrots, 4 kale leaves, 4 sprigs parsley
Also: Carrots and parsley, apple juice and spearmint leaves, all sprouts, carrots and Swiss chard
- Calming/Nightcap/Tranquilizer: 1 apple, 3 carrots, 2 celery stalks
- Cardiovascular System/Heart/High Blood Pressure: 1/2 apple, 6 carrots, 1 slice fresh ginger
Also: 3 parts carrots with 1 part parsley
- Chlorophyll: 6 carrots, 10 spinach leaves, 4 turnip leaves, 4 sprigs watercress
- Cola/Pop: 1 seeded apple, 1/4 lime, sparkling mineral water
Also: Favorite organic juice, sparkling mineral water
- Constipation: carrots and spinach
- Diabetes/Hypoglycemia/Pancreas: apples, green beans, Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsley
- Digestion (use with meals): pineapple juice, including rind
Also: 6 carrots with handful spinach 1/4 lemon with peel, 1/2 peeled grapefruit, 2 peeled oranges
- Eyes: 5 carrots, handful greens (broccoli, collards, kale, mustard greens, parsley, etc.)
- Evening Regulator: 2 apples, 1 pear
- Hair: handful alfalfa sprouts, 5 carrots, 4 lettuce leaves
- Immune System Building: 5 carrots, 3 celery stalks, 1 to 2 cloves garlic, handful parsley
Also: 4 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 2 cloves garlic, 3 sprigs parsley, 2 celery stalks, 1/2 cucumber, 1/8 onion, handful parsley, 2 tomatoes
- Iron/Anemia: 1/2 beet, 6 carrots, 4 lettuce leaves, 4 sprigs parsley, 6 spinach leaves
- Kidney/Bladder: 1/2 apple, 1/4 beet, 1/4 cucumber
Also: Organic cranberry juice
- Liver/Gall Bladder: 2 to 3 apples with 1/2 beet with green tops
Also: 4 apples, 1/2 beet
- Lungs/Respiratory System/Lymphatic System: carrots and greens
Also: Strawberries, especially for smoke exposure
- Minerals: 4 to 6 carrots, 2 celery stalks, 4 sprigs parsley, handful spinach
Also: 2 beet tops, 4 to 5 carrots, 1 kale leaf, handful parsley
- Morning Tonic: 1 apple, 1 peeled grapefruit
- Skin: 1/2 apple, 5 carrots, 1 slice fresh ginger
- My Personal Favorite (juiced in this order): 2 to 3 ounces 'green' (various greens) juice, 1 medium to large carrot, 2 to 3 medium celery stalks, 1/4 to 1/2 medium beet, handful parsley, 1 medium tomato, 2 medium to large carrots