Sprouts are superfoods. They can contain almost thirty times more vital nutrients than the most nutritious raw organic vegetables. When seeds and nuts are sprouted they provide increased amounts of antioxidants, enzymes, fiber, minerals, oxygen, protein, vitamins and all the other cofactors necessary for them to become healthy, vigorous plants. This means sprouts provide everything your body needs to build and maintain optimal health, repair damaged tissues and create a strong, healthy immune system.
Most of us do not regularly eat a balanced diet containing enough fresh, organic vegetables. Highly stressful modern lifestyles require vast quantities of nutrients, especially minerals. Such hurried, tension-filled lives do not leave much time for preparing all, or even most, of your meals at home. A quick something here, or a meal from a restaurant there, is quite typical. Even with extreme dedication, restaurant and supermarket foods will not provide everything you need for optimal health.
Sprouts can contain up to one hundred times more enzymes than raw fruits and vegetables. Enzymes help your body digest and absorb more nutrients from your foods. Sprouting increases the nutritional quality and content of beans, grains, nuts, peas and seeds. Not only does sprouting dramatically increase protein, vitamin and mineral content but it also makes them more bioavailable and easier for your body to digest and absorb.
Sprouts are the ultimate survival food. Nothing provides more complete nutrition. And, seeds can be stored indefinitely, especially if vacuum packed. Sprouts are the most convenient, least expensive and easiest foods to grow in your own kitchen during any weather conditions, any time of the year.
Simple Instructions for Sprouting
- Use cheese cloth, a plastic straining lid or a stainless steel straining lid to cover large-mouth, glass quart jars. I like plastic screen lids. They are inexpensive, easily cleaned and available in most health food stores.
- For most seeds, place the recommended amount in large-mouth quart jars. Add enough diluted OceanSolution 2-0-3 water to completely cover your seeds plus another 1 to 3 inches since the seeds will absorb water. OceanSolution 2-0-3 is a highly concentrated solution of purified, organic, deep ocean minerals to boost plant growth and health. A diluted soak and rinse solution is made with one ounce of OceanSolution 2-0-3 in a gallon of filtered water. I use filtered water to eliminate chlorine and fluorine as well as other toxins commonly found in tap water. One gallon of OceanSolution 2-0-3 makes 128 gallons of soak and rinse water. This makes a tremendous amount of sprouts with plenty for your vegetable garden as well.
- Soak your seeds in a warm, dark place, like a cupboard, for the recommended amount of time.
- Pour off the soak water and rinse twice in your diluted seawater solution. Repeat the recommended number of times each day. Prop your jar at an angle in a bowl or strainer in your cupboard between rinses. This prevents your seeds from “drowning.”
- After the recommended number of days your sprouts should be ready to add to salads, use as garnishes or in any of the recipes in Dining In The Raw by Rita Romano. Often, before using my sprouts, I like to place them in a window with plenty of sunlight for several hours to encourage them to become greener from photosynthesis.
- Keep any leftovers refrigerated. Using the diluted OceanSolution water for soaking and rinsing also helps your sprouts last days longer.
- Enjoy the great health benefits of eating fresh sprouts as often as you can.
Quick, Easy Guide to Sprouting Many Common Seeds (Use Organic, NON GMO)
|Seed||Amount||Soak Time (Hours)||Daily Rinses||Growing Time (Days)|
|Alfalfa||3 Tblspn||4 - 6||4||3 - 5|
|Amaranth||3 Tblspn||4 - 6||3||2 - 3|
|Beans, Most||1 Cup||8 - 10||3||3 - 5|
|Buckwheat||1 Cup||4 - 6||2||3|
|Cabbage||1 Tblspn||4 - 6||2||3 - 5|
|Clover||1 Tblspn||4 - 6||2||4 - 5|
|Corn||1 Cup||8 - 10||3||3|
|Flax||1 Tblspn||5 -7||5||4|
|Garbanzo Beans||1 Cup||10 - 12||3||3|
|Green Peas||1 Cup||10 - 12||3||2 - 3|
|Lentils||1 Cup||6 - 8||3||3 - 4|
|Millet||1 Cup||6 - 8||3||2|
|Radish||1 Tblspn||4 - 6||2||3 - 5|
|Rye||1 Cup||8 - 10||4||3 - 4|
|Pumpkin||1 Cup||6 - 8||3||1 - 2|
|Quinoa||1 Cup||4 - 6||4||2 - 3|
|Sunflower||1 Cup||6 - 8||2||1 - 2|
|Wheat||1 Cup||10 - 12||4||2 - 3|
Additional Notes and Resources
Nuts will generally not sprout like seeds. They are best soaked in the diluted OceanSolution 2-0-3 water water for 8 to 12 hours, depending upon the hardness of the nut. This destroys the enzyme inhibitors found in all seeds and nuts to prevent their sprouting before they have optimal temperature and water. Nuts are much easier to digest after elimination of these enzyme inhibitors. Using diluted, mineral rich OceanSolution water for soaking and rinsing significantly increases and balances their mineral content.
After soaking and two rinses the next day, place the sprouted nuts on drying trays in a food dehydrator to make them crunchy again. Drying can also be done by spreading them on cookie sheets and using the lowest temperature available in your oven. Almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and hazel nuts are especially good prepared this way.